Have you ever tried an Escape Room? How about an Escape Room of Medical Simulation? Human factors such as effects of teamwork, tasks, equipment, workspace, culture and organization are increasingly being shown to affect patient outcomes. Escape Rooms are perfect opportunities for teams that have never met before (or even better if they have) and asks them to quickly solve under time pressure the uniquely random sets of (hopefully) solve-able problems — albeit strictly for fun! Imagine we could combine a healthcare simulation learning scenario, from the framework of an “Escape Room”?
- Recognize patient exhibiting SIRS criteria.
- Demonstrate activation of emergency response systems/protocols.
- Model professional behaviors
- Demonstrate use of SBAR communication.
- Demonstrate effective communication with patient, family, and other team members.
- Demonstrate effective team work while managing the patient.
- Analyze patient situation including possible causes and expected interventions.
- Utilize Sepsis checklist throughout